Courtesy of Wedding Window

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

30 Days of Thankful - Memories


Day 27:  Memories...

Today, as always, I am thankful for memories.
I woke up with a song running through my head. Now, I know this sounds ridiculous, but the song was joke between me and my Daddy. Every Sunday, as we were getting ready for church, we would sing, "Oh Lord, It's Hard To Be Humble"... loudly. We would see who could sing the loudest. I know my Mom must have hated it. It was so fun, and now, it is one of my most favorite memories of him.


When I was a little girl, we would go to Schulter to see my grandparents. They had the coolest grape arbor that grew up over their garage porch area. Those were beautiful grapes. 

The funny thing is, I can't remember if they tasted good or not. The taste I remember the most is the ice cold 7up that came out of their ancient fridge in the garage. YUM! 7up today doesn't taste the same.


I remember this old van my Dad bought from AT&T. It was empty in the back (no seats), and for some reason, he had all these huge pieces of foam in there. Well, me and my friends would play in there all the time, making furniture and such out of that foam. It was so fun, just like a little club house. I'm sure that wasn't what he bought it for, but we sure loved it.

(I would love to insert a picture of it here for you, but can you believe it? No pictures on google of an old, ugly gold & white striped 70s van!)

When my kids were little, I always thought that I should write down all of the funny, cute things that they said or did. I didn't think I had time to back then. I was too busy being a mom, wife, friend, etc.  Now I sure wish I would have, because that is the good stuff.

Wade just loved music. He would dance and sing all the time. His favorite group was the McKameys (a southern gospel group. LOL). He loved that the grandma in the group would laugh while she'd sing. And he would do the same thing, and just crack us up.



Sheridan loved stuffed animals and kitty cats. Oh my. We were overrun with both! I'd tell her to choose 3 stuffed friends to sleep with, and when I went back in there during the night, I'd find about 20. She'd say, "I just can't choose. They all love me!" How could I get mad at that logic?



We used to go camping every year with a big group of church friends. Our kids would run and play, and we would sit around the campfire, eat, and play volleyball. Then, on Sunday, we'd have church out there, surrounded by God and nature. Yes, that is the good stuff.



Times come and go. People change. Lives change. But, I am thankful for memories. And I want to keep on making those memories... because, really, that's the good stuff. 



No comments:

Post a Comment