Courtesy of Wedding Window

Friday, May 30, 2014

BC Day 5 - My Proudest Moments


Blogger challenge - Day 5 - My Proudest Moment

Geez... this one is really hard. I have thought and thought. I have so many moments that I have felt really proud of myself, my kids, my friends... I just don't know where to start. And I'm not sure what this challenge is really asking from me. So, that being said, I'm going to break this down a bit.

First, my kids. Oh man. I am so proud of them so many, many times. I feel such pride when someone tells me what a kind, caring son I have. I love that other people see what I see in him. I feel such pride in my daughter when someone tells me how she has stood up for herself, or overcame something that was so hard for her. I am so proud of both of them when I see the really good "kids" that they have grown into. I love them both, so much!

My family. I am so proud of my Mom for keeping the faith and striving to carry on without my Dad. Being alone sucks, really. I feel such pride in my sister, for being true to Dad, and striving to take care of the family since he has been gone, as he requested of her. I am so proud of my brother to see how he stepped in and took such good care of my Dad during his last days. I am so proud of my brothers-in-law and my sisters-in-law because when they married in to our family, they stepped in whole-heartedly and loved all of us as their own. 

My friends. I have so many good friends that have went through such troubling times in their lives, and I am so proud at how they have handled themselves. Every time, it has helped me to see their amazing examples. In addition, I have a lot of young friends, that I am so proud of the way they conduct themselves in this world.

And myself. Wow. This one is the hardest for me, because I never think in those terms, "I am so proud of myself because..." I have always been taught not to be prideful. "Pride goeth before a fall", etc. It is hard to change my way of thinking. But here are my thoughts: 

To some, this may sound crazy, but I am proud of myself for sticking with a troubled marriage for 17 years, and for being in it for the long haul, even if he wasn't. And afterwards, when I could have laid down and just given up, I'm proud of how I pulled myself up by my bootstraps and carried on. Although I've definitely had my "not so fine" moments, I'm proud of the Mom that I've been to my kids. I'm proud of the friend that I am and the employee that I am, even though I am by far not perfect.

When I say I'm "proud" of myself, please note that I am really just saying how thankful I am that God has helped me to keep on keeping on. I surely do have my moments that I am not proud of me at all, but with God's help, I can shake those off and move forward.



Like. A. Boss. 

1 comment: