Courtesy of Wedding Window

Monday, October 21, 2013

Adventures of a Foodie Wannabe


Adventures of a Foodie Wannabe...

So, I've always been a very picky eater. This is kind of hard to believe, because I sure love food. However, I only love certain foods. Two New Years Eves ago, I decided that I wanted to make a resolution that would better myself in some way. So, I decided to do "12 Months of Tasting"...

JANUARY:  My first new food was: POLENTA

 Mmm! Delicious! What did it taste like? Kind of like cheesy, buttery, mashed potatoes. Definitely a good first choice!

FEBRUARY:  EGGROLLS


Well, okay. Not eggrolls in the oriental sense. But eggrolls in the "Chili's Southwestern Eggrolls" sense. YUMMO! One of my new favorites. Good second choice. Man, I was on a roll (eggroll... get it?)

MARCH:  AVOCADOS



Some people say they taste like butter. Umm... No. Not so much. They taste like... ICK. GROSS. I don't like them like this ^^^ or like this:


Besides, who could eat something that looks like baby poop? I mean, really? ICK! Month #3, not so impressive.

APRIL:  CAPERS


I love these little salty bites of olive-type goodness. Oh my!

MAY:  FENNEL


Fennel is... gross. It tastes like black licorice. I tried it in a pasta dish. You can imagine, that black licorice pasta must be disgusting. Trust me. Run. For. Your. Life. Do. Not. Eat. This.

JUNE:  KIWI


These are SO GOOD! Sweet, mild, delicious green flesh. I love it... and I RARELY eat fruit, so that is saying something! (And after 2 gross "new food" months, it was so nice to find something so delightful!)

JULY:  POMEGRANATE



Again... what a pleasant surprise! It is very, very good. A little tart, but really delicious. The only issue I had with it was the fact that I was eating actual seeds. That part was not my favorite. Maybe that stems from moms always telling their kids not to eat watermelon seeds or a watermelon would grow in their bellies... But that won't keep me from eating this again!

AUGUST:  GNOCCI


How could I not love these? Potato dumplings? I love potatoes, and I love dumplings. OF COURSE I LOVED THESE! Yum Yum Yum!

SEPTEMBER:  COUSCOUS


Couscous is basically little tiny pasta. Well, kind of. This could have been really good. Unfortunately, I tried it in tabouli that someone made. Not my favorite. I may give this another try at some point.

OCTOBER:  PUMPKIN SOUP


Okay. I tried. I really, really tried. But I could not eat this. Totally, completely nasty. I like pumpkin flavor. But I don't love it. Not enough to eat it cold. In soup. Yick. *shudder*

NOVEMBER:  HUMMUS


In theory, I should have loved this. It is made with garbanzo beans, and I love all kinds of beans. But, then again, I didn't like the cold soup either. I just couldn't wrap my mind around cold bean paste. I ate it, but I didn't enjoy it.. not even with the cute little bread sticks that it came with.  My sister loves it though!

DECEMBER:  For my dad, I tried EGGNOG


For as long as I can remember, my dad loved eggnog. He would get so excited when the holidays rolled around and they started stocking it in the grocery stores again. I had tried it before, but since it was my year of "being a foodie", I gave it another shot. Umm... same results. I just can't drink thick, eggy milk. Sorry Dad!

So... after my "12 months of tasting", I had come to the end. It was a really good experience for me. I discovered a few things I really, really liked. And I also found several things I really, really didn't like. But after years of being picky, I found out that I could eat pretty much anything I set my mind to.

It was a lot of fun, and one of the best New Year's Resolutions I'd ever made. Now... what can it be this year? It will be here before I know it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment