Courtesy of Wedding Window

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Wildlife in our Wild Life



                                                                





We used to live in the country. However, I am NOT a country girl, so upon my divorce, we built a house in town. Now, life in town is pretty low-key for most people. Unfortunately, we have discovered that we are NOT most people. Upon hearing the latest of our crazy adventures, my friend declared that I had to start writing these things down. So, ready or not, here I am! 

Last night was really WILD! S had a friend over to stay the night. The girls went in the garage to get a snack out of the freezer. They got quite a surprise when they opened the garage door. There were FOUR raccoons in the garage. FOUR! Did I mention we live in town? Right smack dab in the middle of town. And yet, there we stood, with 4 raccoons looking back at us. 


Hmm... what to do? After a second or two, they figured they'd better get the heck out of dodge. So they ran... under our car... and up inside the engine. Now what?


W was gone for the night, so it was just us 3 chickens here (I was the biggest chicken!). The girls got brave and decided to rock the car and scare them out. Well, they rocked, and honked, hollered, banged... and the only thing scared out of the garage was ME! I was standing at the end of the driveway watching (and putting in my 2 cents).


I've always heard, that when all else fails, you call the cops. So, I did. At 11:00 at night. Yes, I am THAT person. The officer that answered the phone couldn't help but laugh, and then offered to send out a patrol car to help me. The unlucky officer pulled up, waited for back up, decided that back up was sitting somewhere laughing at him for having to get four raccoons out of my garage, pulled on his leather gloves and gave it the ole' college try. 


He tried. And he tried. And he tried. The whole time he is trying to wrangle those little critters, the girls are right there with him, oohing and aahing over how cute the raccoons are. Meanwhile, I am still at the end of the driveway taking pictures for Facebook.


After about 45 minutes of us yelling, "I see it!" "There he is!" "Where did he go?!" "Oh my gosh!" (By this time, I'm sure we had made our neighbors' hate lists) those guys FINALLY ran out of the garage! Thank goodness!


At the end of the night, raccoons love Twinkies (yes, the Twinkies I had frozen when they quit making them and had accidentally left on the work bench earlier that afternoon), the girls had the best surprise of their year, and our small town police officer was my hero. 


So much for leaving the country behind...

No comments:

Post a Comment