Courtesy of Wedding Window

Monday, November 4, 2013

30 Days of Thankful - My Sister





Day 4:  



My poor sister had the misfortune of being 10 years older than me. That means that she had to put up with a little spoiled brat for years and years (hopefully I grew out of that at some point!). When she wanted to go "cruise town", she had to take her 6 year old sister with her. Of course, I would tattle when we got home, telling Mom and Dad how many times she stopped and talked to friends, or how she went "sideways" across the bridge. When she would have a boyfriend over, I\"d either force them to play Monopoly with me, or promptly go in her room and do something ornery, like count her skirts, and then march in announcing loudly, "Kim has 32 skirts! 32!" When she was off to work, I\"d come in from school and "tap dance" in her high heels. Boy, she had some great heels... before I got a hold of them. 



Thankfully, I did grow up. As I got older, we started to become friends. One time after I graduated high school, I went by her house after I got off work. We were riding to the mall together and she told me, "You know, after all these years, I FINALLY like you!" She was kidding, but I\"m sure there was some truth to what she was saying.



After I got married, I could always count on her to be there for me. She was my friend, as well as my sister. She was more than willing to have us at her home. And she always, always made us feel welcome, and went out of her way many times to make us feel special.



Along with being my sister, Kim is a wife, mother, Mimi, daughter, aunt, friend, helper, midwife, defender, protector, and many other things, to many people. Her care and compassion make her unlike any other. 



Unfortunately, there came a time when my world was turned upside down. I happened to be at her house the day I found out Bob had left. Needless to say, I was devastated. And my sister was there, as usual, with kind, caring words and compassion.



Since that day, we have been closer than ever. She has been to my house time after time, and I have enjoyed every minute of her visits. We\"ve done "the baby thing", we\"ve shopped, we\"ve eaten out (too much!), we\"ve talked, laughed, cried, shared and have just simply been together. I can never express my gratitude for her. I love her. She is the best sister I could have ever wished for.








No comments:

Post a Comment