Courtesy of Wedding Window

Thursday, November 21, 2013

30 Days of Thankful - Strength





DAY 21: Today, I am thankful for having to be strong.



That may sound a little odd. I\"m not quite sure how to phrase it though. When I was married, although we had our personal problems, life in general ran like a well-oiled machine. I did the "wife" things (like cooking & cleaning) and Bob did the "husband" things (like outside chores and cars).  Then BAM! I was left to figure out how to do it all on my own. Wade was only 15 and Sher was 12. Although they were perfectly capable of helping me, I was the one that had to figure out how to do it. 



At the time... I hated it. Bad. It felt wrong and unfair. Now, four years out, I appreciate the opportunity to be strong, when I didn\"t want to be. There is a quote that I love. It says, "Sometimes, we never know how strong we really are, until being strong is the only choice we have". I have found that to be very, very true.



Today, I celebrate a couple of my "accomplishments" (this is my blog so I can do that).



In order to sell my old house, I took on several projects, including (with my sister\"s help) painting almost the whole house and remodeling our main bathroom!








(This isn\"t my bathroom, but close enough!)



After I sold my house, I designed and had a house built... all by myself. I had absolutely no clue what I wanted/needed, but with a lot of praying, crying, stressing, shopping, changing my mind, time and time again, and a lot of help, it finally came together. 











In order to build my house, I had to go through extreme stress and get first, a construction loan to build it, and then a mortgage loan to pay for it. I won\"t go into it here, but oh my gosh. That was absolutely the hardest thing I have ever done. Only my close family knows the heartache and headache that was. Thank God we are here, at this point:










While all of the mortgage junk was going on, I also managed to buy, not 1, but 2 cars. All on my own credit. Wow. What an accomplishment!










Along the way, I learned how to...










mow grass! Now, I know there are some of my female friends that love to mow grass, and have mowed it for years. And I also know that most people think mowing is easy and relaxing. This is not the case for me. UGH! I have had more mowing/lawn mower issues than anyone needs to deal with... ever!





Another thing that became a necessity for me to know is how to do some minor car repairs. 










Now, I\"m not gonna lie. I have Wade do almost everything car related for me. But, there have been times that he hasn\"t been available, and it was left to me. And with a little help from above, I got it done.





Last (that I\"m going to mention), but certainly not least, is raising two teenagers! My patience and my strength has certainly been put to the test at times. 










Thankfully, I have some really great kids, which has helped soooo much.





You know that other saying, "What doesn\"t kill you makes you stronger"? Yep, again, so very true. So far, it hasn\"t killed me yet. It has only made me a stronger person, and for that I am thankful!








No comments:

Post a Comment